Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taste of Chicago and "Free Speech Zones"

edited July 2006 in Random

Comments

• edited December 1969
    my brother told me that the Critical Mass weblogforum thing was talking about some biker types that were harassed at Taste of Chicago... any truth to this rumor that they are not allowing people to hand out pamphlets etc at the Taste?
  • edited December 1969
    hm. Sun-Times article appears providing basic confirmation.

Whole lotta bullshit. I'm out of sorts.
  • edited December 1969
    Link to the article?

Here's another question about Chicago - from Chase - why does the city do the 4th fireworks on the 3rd? I posited that they do it that way since all of the suburbs and neighborhoods have their fireworks on the 4th and the city if conceding to them... thoughts?
  • edited December 1969
    A lot of the suburbs do their fireworks on the 3rd also. The fireworks celebration has slowly been migrating to the 3rd. give it a few decades and we will be celebrating the 3rd of july....
  • edited December 1969
    The article I saw was in the print version. I'll look for it tho.

I would bet that the city is trying to boost tourism, and would shift the celebration to the 2nd of July if they thought they could get more people to drive in and spend the night in the city...
  • edited December 1969
    I would bet that the city is trying to boost tourism, and would shift the celebration to the 2nd of July if they thought they could get more people to drive in and spend the night in the city...

Ironically, the 2nd was the actual day that congress approved the declaration of independance.

The 4th was just the day that a final version was ready to be released to the printer. FACT!
  • edited December 1969
    That makes it one of the speediest graphic design projects EVAR.
  • edited December 1969
    And I don't believe it was actually signed until much later... maybe even a year later.

There was some secrecy involved because some of the delegates were worried that if the British knew their identities they would find them & hang them for treason.
  • edited December 1969
    We would all have been much better off if they had been caught/hung.

*sits in corner, silently munching on sour grapes...
  • edited December 1969
    Tory!
  • edited December 1969
    But think about it, then we wouldn't have had the World Cup on US soil in 1994 and there'd be another circe 300 million people moaning about not winning the World Cup since 1966...........
  • edited December 1969
    Some video that my bro sent me:

• edited December 1969
    That is rather disturbing.