Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shoes from Nordstrom

edited August 2006 in Bike Shoes

Not sure about the shape of the heel/sole on these ones... was this taken (blurry - sorry) to demonstrate the strap thing?

Add another velcro strap to these ones and you've got a bike shoe! You could even combine laces/straps if you had the lace knot hidden under a wide strap - would stop it from coming undone and getting in the chain.

I love these... the aesthetic would translate really nicely to a bike shoe... less of a hard edge than most of the bike shoes out there now - more casual and less technical.

I love these too. In black. With bigger/more patterned perforations.

With plastic straps or some sort of upper support, you could do something like this. You could keep the canvas look (trendy!) by having a support mesh under the canvas and by having the straps have kevlar cores? Or some other plastic...

For the material on the side?

A way to make soles accommodate cleats w/out being hideous or stereotypically mountain/hybrid shoe looking. Fuck Skechers.

Comments

• It was good to hang out too. I'm pretty psyched about the whole thing. Looking forward to reading more about the new product process you were talking about. I've already forgotten what it was called.
  • edited August 2006
    It's called stage-gate, basically because there are stages of development, followed by gates or decisions to proceed. Here's a quick Google result. This chart is pretty generic, the guy I saw speak this morning was much more articulate and had a much more descriptive diagram. I'll have to email you his recent article...
  • Each stage costs more than the preceding one, so that the game plan is based on incremental commitments. As uncertainties decrease, expenditures are allowed to rise and risk is managed.
    Sounds kind of perfect for what we're talking about.
  • Posted By: Markle Sparkleimage

Not sure about the shape of the heel/sole on these ones... was this taken (blurry - sorry) to demonstrate the strap thing?
    Yeah, the proportions are too Euro... it was about the high velcro strap-- this could add a lot of stability at that point.

Add another velcro strap to these ones and you've got a bike shoe! You could even combine laces/straps if you had the lace knot hidden under a wide strap - would stop it from coming undone and getting in the chain.
    I think I would just go with velcro and avoid laces, really.

I love these... the aesthetic would translate really nicely to a bike shoe... less of a hard edge than most of the bike shoes out there now - more casual and less technical.
    Yes, these are a strong direction to pursue. The "flap" tounge is a hot detail, that actually has a lot of function, really.

With plastic straps or some sort of upper support, you could do something like this. You could keep the canvas look (trendy!) by having a support mesh under the canvas and by having the straps have kevlar cores? Or some other plastic...
    Another strategic direction-- the "lo fi" aesthetic. I'll flesh out these positions later.

A way to make soles accommodate cleats w/out being hideous or stereotypically mountain/hybrid shoe looking. Fuck Skechers.
    Fuck them indeed. This is a design detail we will need to sweat hard-- the cleat seems like a challenge to overcome.

This is exciting!
  • Stage1 -
    Scoping: A quick and inexpensive assessment of the technical merits of the project and its market prospects.

Stage 2 -
    Building the Business Case: This is the critical homework stage - the one that makes or breaks the project. The business case has three main components: product and project definition; project justification; and project plan.

Stage 3 -
    Development: Business case plans are translated into concrete deliverables. The manufacturing or operations plan is mapped out, the marketing launch and operating plans are developed, and the test plans for the next stage are defined.

Stage 4 -
    Testing and Validation: The purpose of this stage is to provide final and total validation of the entire project: the product itself, the production process, customer acceptance, and the economics of the project.

Stage 5 -
    Launch: Full commercialization of the product - the beginning of full production and commercial launch.
    Somewhere mucking around in stage 1 with eyes on stage 2 now then, right? I've got some solid ideas for a business plan but need to think more about market research right now, I guess.
  • Posted By: fueledbycoffeeThis is exciting!
    Seconded!
  • Yes, we are squarely in stage 1. (Although the guy this morning had slightly different stages) From my current experience this stage is not to be taken lightly. I need to focus a little more on the day job right now, but I'll come back to this thread to flesh out the tasks for market research. Here's a quick list:

MARKET RESEARCH
    - Assess market
    - Assess compeition
    - Interview/gather info on others of similar scale/industry (ie Timbuk2, Chrome, etc)
    - Interview/gather info on shoe industry (friends of mine that design, others?)

USER RESEARCH
    - Define target market
    - Ethnographic research on target market (interview urban bikers, observe shoe usage, etc)
    - Urbn bike Trends
    - Formulate target personas (psuedo-bike messenger style, hip professional, etc.. this helps us design towards imaginary people, keeping each shoe clear in vision, and in the end tell a cohesive story)

.... more to come...