Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this

edited April 2008 in Random
the appropriate converting device to make DVDs out of VHS tapes?

http://www.usbvideoadapter.com/Video_Audio_Adapter/audio_index.htm

Has anyone used one of these?

Comments

• You are asking all the right questions Ms. B!
  • that *should* work... this will work (but it costs more)

DVD Xpress DX2

or a video card that has AV inputs (the yellow/red/white) cable

how many to you need to rip?
  • too many. you don't want to know how many vhs tapes I have...I'd like to join this century and get rid of my VCR(s).
  • I have an extra video card with AV inputs. It's for a PC. *gasp

I've also done it using my DV camera before. No matter how you go about it, it's going to take forever. Maybe call Helix and see how much they charge to do it for you.
  • I say Netflix (or torrent) them & rip new dvds... that way you get all the nice menus & extras.

You don't even have to feel guilty because you already bought AND rented the same stuff.
  • or just donate them to the retro technology museum and call it a day
    :)
  • Yes, what Justin said, times a squillion. The quality'll be horrible from those tapes anyway.
  • Yeah, I probably will end up doing that. I have a crazy collection of Ranma that takes up two boxes. I don't even want to think about how long it will take to transfer those....

and yes, I'm aware how nerdly it is that I even have that collection, but we all have our guilty pleasures!
  • Hey, throw me a couple of movie names*, I'll grab them and make a DVD for you. I have some software that'll do a pretty good job (but won't be as slick as a fully-ripped DVD).

*anything except Steel Magnolias or Fried Green Tomatoes please
  • Aw, thanks Andy!
    How about 'Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown'?

;)

Actually, it's a great Pedro Almodovar movie!
  • Who needs a movie collection in this day and age? Just in case the desperate urge to watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang comes on so strong you don't have time to rent it?
  • I am suddenly struck by that very urge!
  • Yeah, if you can find Ranma movies on Netflix, screw trying to converte the VHS tapes. The quality will kinda suck anyway. Then again, it would be quite nice watching poor quality reproductions at a retro movie night, huh? We could all eat Jiffy Pop and Swizzle Sticks and wash it all down with some Koolaid. "OH YEAH!!!!!"
  • edited April 2008
    Tari just gave me a Child Catcher flashback!

So very scared of him, even now.