Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magpies can recognize selves in mirror

edited August 2008 in Random
Fascinating! Also, notice that the crow family is the smartest family of birds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080819/sc_nm/magpies_mirror_dc

I kind of want to go home and try this test on my cats.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    There was a very interesting (and short) talk from TED about crows. Watch it over lunch. They made a crow vending machine, and the crows figured out that they can scour the streets for change, pick it up, and use it to buy lunch.

• edited August 2008
    damn double post!
  • We had a saying back home you know; "If you see two crows together, they be rooks. If you see a rook on it's own, it be a crow".
    Potentially life-saving knowledge there, I think.
  • That was a great talk. Crows are so. smart. I love the end graphic of the crow and the heart-shaped earth. Crows will probably end up doing more the save the planet than we will!
  • very cool video
  • Bear in mind the fact that crows will happily peck the eyes out of new-born and young lambs. Saw the effects numerous times when I was a kid. Clever they may be, but they're utterly uncaring survival machines by nature, like everything else that lives on the earth.
  • edited August 2008
    Posted By: BlokeBear in mind the fact that crows will happily peck the eyes out of new-born and young lambs. Saw the effects numerous times when I was a kid. Clever they may be, but they're utterly uncaring survival machines by nature, like everything else that lives on the earth.
    Cruel? Perhaps... but have you ever dined on newborn lamb eyes Andy?

Scrumptious, utterly scrumptious. I can hardly blame the crows for that.
  • I'm not sure Casey Affleck would approve of that statement.
  • Casey Affleck secretly loves the flavor of newborn lamb eyes.
  • And so can I
  • edited August 2008
    But would Casey approve of bucket muzzles? I think not. Perusal of horse and hound forum reveals that bucket muzzles can rub horse noses raw.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2816448/an/0/page/0
  • edited August 2008
    Could you please leave Sebastian's & my sex life out of this.
  • tmi, tari. T.M.I.
  • Posted By: tariCould you please leave Sebastian's & my sex life out of this.
    Bucket muzzles or newborn lamb's eyes? Or crows?
  • edited August 2008
    ok who is the super funny tool here changing my comments? My money is on Justin 'fury' Braem.
  • (just so you all know - Justin changes peoples comments to suit his own sick fantasy life)
  • are we saying that justin looks like casey affleck?
  • Exhibit A:

Exhibit B: