Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Election Day Excitement

edited November 2008 in Events & Planning
share voting stories! Any other stories! Just say wheeee!

Comments

• Also-take your I voted slip to Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Ben & Jerry's for free goodness.
  • Repost from Coudal Partners. This cracked me up because it's so true.
    ----------------
    A PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS The Fourth Day of November in the year 2008 represents the long-awaited resolution to the fiercely contested Presidential election.

WHEREAS By nature of Mr. Obama’s residency and its proud Democratic tradition, the great city of Chicago finds itself squarely at the center of attention on this momentous day.

WHEREAS No municipal or government body has shown the foresight or fortitude to state what needs to be stated.

NOW THEREFORE WE, Coudal Partners, do hereby proclaim that
    NO WORK be done on NOVEMBER FOURTH

WHEREAS All employees are hereby required to report for work at the regularly appointed time and subsequently spend the morning hours unfettered by any assignment or memo, conversing with coworkers and furiously surfing political blogs for the latest information.

WHEREAS It would be nice if someone brought bagels.

WHEREAS Commencing at the hour of lunch, all employees will be set free from obligation, to leave the workplace and join friends and family at places of community and conviviality.

WHEREAS An exception will be made for those employees in “battleground states” with certain disagreeable political leanings who are required to arrive at work before the polls open and work until they have closed, without a lunch break and under constant supervision.

WHEREAS For everyone else in Chicago, we will see you at Grant Park. In all other American burgs, villages and hamlets, pretty much anywhere with a television is acceptable. Bowling alleys, rec rooms, firehouses and taverns are a few suggested venues.

WHEREAS Employers not obeying this proclamation are forewarned that they will find the day without productivity or profit and in the end only earn the ire of their tireless and devoted workers.

WHEREAS By the authority vested in us by us, all employees in the U.S.A. are encouraged to forward this proclamation to their supervisors and if there is some doubt about said supervisors agreeableness to follow the guidelines stated herein they are further advised, in the great tradition of American Democracy, to take matters into their own hands and sneak out the back door at lunchtime leaving this web page open on their computer as a statement of their whereabouts and intentions.

WHEREAS Employers are also advised to allow great leniency for late arrivals on the morning of the Fifth Day of November.
  • I'm getting WELL excited here. And so is the rest of the world, like the Guardian paper in the UK: http://www.guardian.co.uk/
    They had a terrific set of video clips this morning too: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/oliverburkemanblog/2008/nov/04/uselections2008-barackobama
  • Chase, that's hilarious. I'm surprised by the amount of work I'm actually doing today! But I'll be off soon. ;)
  • I walked to the Police Station on california & palmer and the line was sort of long, it went to the doors. They were having to different wards there the 35th and 1 other. They were separating people by ward, and by luck me being in the 35th I was able to go all the way to the front and get my ballot and vote.

I think quite a few people in the other line were a little shocked that myself and 1 other person were brought to the front.

Did everyone have the ridiculous ballot were you have to fill in the gap on the arrow of the candidate you were voting for? Seems a bit weird.
  • oh i did that ballot during the primary over here in ward 32 - but we early voted on thursday and used a TOUCH SCREEN - and it has this cool receipt tape that runs up the side so you can review your votes. i think i believed it!

i have a list of recommended judges if anyone didn't vote yet and needs to read up on the 5 or so pages of people you are going to view.

laurajlash@gmail.com
  • Yeah, I had the touch screen too, voted early last week. Fun!

Obama was just in the building! (His headquarters are located here). There are secret service vans and cops everywhere, and a bunch of little CPD boats in the river.
  • OMG bahareh that is crazy where are you?
    i was just teaching a class at the CTA 567 lake and there were some livery vehicles and cameras around
  • We're at 233 N. Michigan. (right by Wacker and Michigan, across from the river).
  • ok so not where i was but that is cool

man i don't know how you can work today - squiggle me oh my
  • HAPPY ERECTION DAY FROM KOREA!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2008
  • Hi Em!

What a blast that was! I've got lots of great pics, but can't get them off my camera right now, bugger. Never actually met up with anyone in the end, but that was kind of unavoidable really, and didn't matter too much. Hopefully see you all Thursday?!
  • edited November 2008
    That was so awesome!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!?!? I havent felt this good in 2 years. hahhahah.

we were all even on CNN!

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/politics/2008/11/04/sot.cnn.obama.wins.cnn.html

Shown here at :47 briefly and again at 1:05 for a bit. Laura is in the red-white-blue striped coat. I'm behind her. I think you can actually hear laura screaming throughout most of it.. i know that scream anywhere. heh.
  • I feel like a lost puppy today.. the Election was my master for two years now.
  • That's great! I see you guys! :) Great coat, Laura.
    Man, that must've been wild and so exciting to be there!
  • ha! at 1:05 Carrie is there with her hand over her mouth! awesome!
  • I would just like to post the returns from the precinct in my neighborhood in western Charlotte, North Carolina. Coulwood is were I attended Middle School.

Mecklenburg - PCT 89 COULWOOD MIDDLE
    Registered 5,287
    Turnout 69%

PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
    Obama/Biden-D 2,299 64%
    McCain/Palin-R 1,275 35%
    Barr/Root-L 20 1%

US SENATE
    Kay Hagan-D 2,295 64%
    Elizabeth Dole-R 1,170 33%
    Christopher Cole-L 102 3%

Thanks mom & dad!
  • wheeee!!!!!!
  • yay Mecklenburg County!
    East Central Illinois did well by Obama, too-Champaign County, where T and I hail from, went for Obama.
  • I was just on craigslist looking for runners when I decided to look in the personals.
    The Irish personal ads seem to be for non Irish women who saw PS I Love You.
    This particular ad made me laugh.

http://dublin.craigslist.org/w4m/907568537.html

I'm tempted to write back and tell her that EVERYBODY in Ireland wanted Obama to become pres and she can fuck off basically. I sure she's had enough similar responses.
  • edited November 2008
    SALAD DODGER ALERT! Quick, hide all pies.
  • Wh-wha-wha?? Is that a real ad? Say it ain't true!
  • desperate times call for desperate measures...
  • Real yes sadly. Funny though, but sad. Texan I bet. Too many teeth, I'm always suspicious of people with too many teeth. Julia Roberts for example.
  • http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=5081

This was an article in the Carolina Journal pre election. Any body know anything about this? Sounds like pre election scare tactics to me.
  • edited November 2008
  • This was great. I love the last bits.

• I couldn't hold my tongue any longer so I replied to her ad. See below. It felt good.

Do you realise everybody here wanted Obama to win? We are so glad he did. We don't want your kind here. Maybe Canada will take you though I doubt it. It's not political asylum you need but rather an insane asylum.