Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web tech question - converting .swf files

edited October 2009 in Random
Anyone here know anything about web stuff and files and stuff? (a hugely rhetorical question there).
I have a couple of small .swf flash-type files here, and someone asked if I could convert them to .flv or .mov format (or any similar, common format).
I thought it would be fairly easy but it's turned out to be quite tricky. The only crappy shareware that came even close to doing it banged out a couple of huge avi's that were as rough as a badger's arse.
Is there an easy way to do this that I'm missing? I don't have anything like Flash or Quicktime installed, I'm afraid. Any ideas?

Comments

• .flv actually is flash, but if you're trying to convert them to a movie format its gonna be pretty tough especially without the source fla's. The easiest way would probably be to just play the swfs in your browser and use some kind of screen capture program to capture and convert them. Beyond that dropping them into a program called director will also let you export them to quicktime, but I doubt you have that. Also, if they have any interactivity to them obviously it'll make exporting to a movie format pretty impossible.
  • edited December 2009
    Posted By: Bloke.. as rough as a badger's arse.
    Ok I'm just mildly curious how this expression came about
  • obviously you have never surveyed a badger's ass
  • Yes, take a close look at a badger's cheeks next time you get a chance. Smooth?

ps MERRY CHRISTMAS / HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
  • I won't be looking at any badgers cheeks, Andy.

Anybody feel like giving me some advice on how to get into making websites and the like. I think it's called web development. I have an interest and am curious what the best way into this field is.