Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thursday Drinks :: Castaways (again!)

edited June 2005 in Events & Planning

Comments

• edited December 1969
    We all had so much fun last week (and it was SO cheap) that we've decided to return!

So says the indomitable spirit of the Summer Drinking Schedule

Same bat-time, same bat-channel:

5:30p
    Castaways - 1603 N. Lakeshore Dr.

#151 bus up inner lakeshore to just south of North Avenue. Hop off by the Museum of Surgical Science - then walk through the underpass and you're pretty much there.
  • edited December 1969
    Bummer, my mom is planning to be in town, which means me (& likely the bros) will probably not make it this week :(
  • edited December 1969
    Hey, my mate Sal (aka Mangaloid on the HumHum) wants to come along, if that's Ok. He's itching to meet the legendary Markle Sparkle, believe it or not.
  • edited December 1969
    That's trouble. You've, of course, explained to him that I'm a mere shell of the man that I am online, right?

I think I'm going to be late this week because I've got some Chamber of Commerce event to go to straight after work...
  • edited December 1969
    Yes, I only hope he's able to conceal the crushing disappointment. You'll like Sal though; one of the toppest people I know.

The summer gathers pace; I'm off to a Cubs Game right now hurrah! A friend just called and gave me her ticket; I think my devastating good looks helped her with her decision. No, seriously.
  • edited December 1969
    A single raindrop.

That's how it all began, with a single raindrop. The alien invasion that has decimated most of earth's population began with a single virus-laden raindrop. The scientists have traced the horrible new disease back to its primogenitor - a man named Marc Needham. He had been enjoying a drink with friends after a long week of work. They were at a bar called CASTAWAYS, you know the one, it looks like a boat... over there at LAKESHORE DRIVE and NORTH AVENUE. Yeah well, they were drinking and hooping and hollering and it had started to rain a little, nobody cared though; too drunk probably. Too drunk or too stupid.

Either way, old Marc, he ended up getting that fateful raindrop in his beer. A raindrop just jam-packed with alien viruses. He drank it right down into himself and his weak immune system just couldn't handle it.

The virus, you see, takes a human being's body and withers it away to just about nothing. Spreads through the air like the flu, only faster and more deadly. We didn't have a chance.

Once we were weak enough, they just came down and took the planet from us. There was nothing we could do to stop them. Just walked in like they owned the place. Them in their fancy sparkly spaceships and their purple boots and their ray guns that look suspiciously phallic...

If only I could go back in time to warn those people on the roof of that bar. We wouldn't be hanging here like this if it wasn't for those idiots and their insatiable thirst for booze. Damn them. Damn them all to hell.
  • edited December 1969
    Bit crap this week because I'm not really *feeling* it. Know what I mean?
  • edited December 1969
    Excuses, excuses, Marc! It's because you feel the need to express your hate for me because I'm a big flake and am unwilling to supply you with further electrical FUN!

Virus, my ass.

And I will happily sign a name release on the above if you ever require it.
  • edited December 1969
    Oh FUCK!!! You did that fun html thing!!! Here's me further proving I'm an asshole.
  • edited December 1969
    You should read the SF short story 'The gold at the starbow's end' by Frederick Pohl. One of the best I've ever read, and your story sort of reminded me of it.
  • edited December 1969
    Such a perfect day for this. I'm really looking forward to sitting on that roof tonight.
  • edited December 1969
    It looks like quite a bunch are heading over tonight. Couple of people from work, Canadian Dave, Irish Dave. And by God the weather is right for it. What time d'you think you'll be there Marc?
  • edited December 1969
    Turns out I won't be late after all! I'll be there as close to 5:00 as I possibly can. Thereby assuring us premium seating!
  • edited December 1969
    Who is this Canadian Dave? I demand to be the only Dave present!
  • edited December 1969
    Nice! We'll hopefully show by 6.15.
  • edited December 1969
    Dave K. Also known as 'The Grinder'. No, it's not what you're thinking. He plays pool like Canadian Cliff 'Grinder' Thorburn used to play snooker back in the 70s...oh never mind.
  • edited December 1969
    But I too am Dave K. is he like the good version of me? Do I need to bring my like, light sabre and stuff and smite him? Castaways would make a cool venue for a light sabre fight scene using the lake as a backdrop.............
  • edited December 1969
    I forgot that.
    Hmm, two Dave K's, eh? One of you must be evil, by the laws of Hollywood. Which one though? We must put you both to "Karen's electro-tastic shock treatment' tonight, see which one melts.
  • edited December 1969
    LOL hhahhhaha.... indeed...

(i'll be there around 6:30.. it's SO nice out!!)
  • edited December 1969
    That would make me a bit of a Patty Melt now wouldn't it.....mwah ha ha ha ha....I'm pretty sure I'm the evil one, I've got the laugh down after all!
  • edited December 1969
    I don't want to have to sit there for an hour by myself so I'm going to hold off going until 5:30.
  • edited December 1969
    Sorry guys. No electrodes for you. I had a wisdom tooth taken out instead. Apparently I am all about pain.

Hope everyone had fun.
  • edited December 1969
    Karen: you suck.

Man... I am SO drunk!

Beer before sangria, you're in the clia...

Wait, that's not right.
  • edited December 1969

From Emily. I guess she's been stalking Anniston all over town for three weeks now.
  • edited December 1969
    I've been trying, but she's been shying away from me due to what I can only assume is my striking resemblance to Angelina Jolie.
  • edited December 1969
    OMG!!!! EMILY, YOU ARE FRIGGIN' HYSTERICAL!

One of my numerous exes is working on that shoot. I prefer stalking him instead.